A Grain of Sand

"I will multiply you as the stars in heaven and as the sand upon the shore." - Genesis 22:17

"I can see the master's hand in every leaf that trembles, in every grain of sand." - Dylan, Every Grain of Sand (on Shot of Love)

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Jew Are What Jew Is - Part II

I wrote about identity a bit last night. Barack Obama's speech ("A More Perfect Union" - text here and video below) was a beautiful and courageous meditation on the topic of racial resentment. Obama was addressing a topic of identity. He was asked, in effect, "how could you sit in the pews of this apparently racist Reverend Wright?" and answered by speaking honestly about his experience as a person who moves between racial communities and the insights that has given him.

That is of course only a small part of his theme. The speech was without a doubt the highest moment of politics, and the best political speech of my adult life. I know, I'm just joining the chorus of people who went crazy for the speech, but it was the real deal. Anyway, the speech is below.

No comments:

Post a Comment